|1||First enable debugging in IE: go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced, and make sure “Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer)” is unchecked and “Display a notification about every script error” is checked.|
|2||Then Download and install VWD|
|3||Create a new empty website|
Click the “Start Debugging” button. You will be prompted to enable debugging for this website – do so. VWD will then launch IE in debugging mode.Since your website is empty you will see a 404; ignore it and navigate to the actual page or website you want to debug.
A tip from Fraser in the comments below: If you like, you can create a home page for the new site, and add this code to the head section: <meta http-equiv=”refresh” content=”0;url=http://yoursite.com”>. This will redirect you automatically to your chosen site.
|5||Any script errors will cause IE to pause execution and transfer control to VWD.The screenshot to the left shows me changing the value of a variable as the script is paused.|
If any Firefox users have probelms getting VWD to launch IE, see James Wiltshire’s comment below.
A few debugging tips:
- Learn these shortcuts: Step Over (F10) executes the current line of code and moves to the next one. If the current line of code contains a function call, Step Into (F11) moves the debugger into that function call. Step Out (Shift+F11) executes the rest of the current function and pauses again after it returns. Continue (F5) resumes the script until the next error or breakpoint.
- Debugging is easier if you write code with one function call per line, so that the debugger knows which function you want to step in to.
- You can type any expression in the Watch window, and when its value changes it will turn red.
- If you want to open the debugger when there is no error, click in the left-hand margin to set a break point or place the ‘debugger’ keyword in your code (this works in Firebug too).
* joke stolen from Rowan Atkinson
Then, I faced the Firefox problem ! as Firefox is my primary internet browser, so there is a comment in the same article which describes how to solve this, here’s it :
. It turns out you have to right click on your empty website project in
the ‘Solution Explorer. There’s an option in there ‘Browse With…’ that
allows you to choose IE/Firefox/Internal browser.